See less

gmon - A graphical LPar Monitor IBM's AIX (& Linux) running on POWER Systems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gmon - A graphical LPar Monitor IBM's AIX (& Linux) running on POWER Systems

November 2014 - gmon 8 beta 0.7 (Java 7 64bit GUI)

Fixes to handle Live Partition Mobility correctly - download here
    v8c agents included in zip

November 2014 - gmon v72m

Adds support for port numbers in .lp files- see sample.lp in zip file
    Corrected bug for per second values not averaging correctly over sample period
    Adds support for playback of up to 16 nmon files simultaneously, previously the limit was 8.
    Fixed minor bug where gmon would start with a refresh rate of 1 second but the refresh rate slider was indicating a 2 second refresh rate
    Tested on POWER8 with SMT8 (POWER8 mode)
    Download gmon v72m here (this zip files also contain the latest gmon v8c agents)

November 2014 - New agents should be installed

These latest agents which are in available here: gmon-v8c Agents reduce the CPU consumption footprint of the agent substantially on AIX 7,AIX 6 and VIO servers.
    These agents will only run on these operating system levels:
    • VIO version 2.2.2.0 and above
    • AIX 5.3 TL12 sp5 and above
    • AIX 6.1 TL8 and above
    • AIX 7.1 TL2 and above
    • POWER Linux (RedHat 6.4 & 6.5, SUSE SLES 11 sp3)
    These agents are compatible with the original Windows based gmon v7j GUI and new gmon v8 - the Java7 (64bit) version of the GUI
    An experimental x86 Linux agent is also included.

September 2014 - Latest Java GUI beta

gmon v8 (beta7) GUI - written in SUN Java7 (64bit) and Java FX

Latest Java GUI is Beta7 - download here
    Beta5 has thresholds built in for a lot of the parameter monitored and colour changes to draw attention to things that are unusual.
    This version of the gmon GUI looks similar to the previous (windows only) versions - but now adds the "app" parameter (available processors in the pool) and because it's written in Java - for the first time the client side GUI code is also available to you as a NetBeans project (Eclipse versions also will be available). This release is a "beta" release as I've not yet ported all the functions to Java and some bugs will certainly be found whilst I iron things out.
    Screen Grab for gmon v8 (beta5):

The zip file contain the v8 agents, source code (GUI and agents) - and the folder "gmon8-Java7-64bit - copy this somewhere and run the gmon8.jar, jnlp - or even use the html file (if your browser has Sun Java7 plugin enabled)
    There's also a "run-gmon.bat" file that shows how to run it on windows from the command line - you may need to modify it slightly for your machine's environment.
    The same sort of things should work for Linux and MAC users provided SUN Java7 is available. In case your wondering IBM's Java v7 does not have JavaFX capability (so sadly you cannot run it on AIX).
    gmon v8 uses elements of the JFXtras Labs project see:
    http://jfxtras.org/
    To those of you who are serious or even professional Java coders - my apologies to your profession, you may wonder how my code works at all ! In my defense I'd say I only started coding in Java late in 2013 in my spare time, you may notice a C orientated approach and bad practice here there and everywhere. I am open to advice - indeed I'd welcome it !
    Check back regularly for updates to gmon v8.

February 24th 2014:

Hello everyone - Two new things available for you today:
    A minor update that allows you to specify the port gmon should use when connecting to gmon agents. To do this you must use the new gmon v8a agents - as they allow you to specify the port that is used as a parameter when you start the agent. The gmon v8a agents can only run on recent TL's of AIX and VIO versions (Linux v8 agents will follow).
    gmon v72j still works with all the previously released agents, so if you don't want to control the port gmon uses - or if you don't want to use the new Java GUI (see below) then you could carry on using these although they do contain a small memory leak bug that is fixed by the v8a agents, so you should use the v8a agents if possible.

gmon allows you to graphically monitor several AIX 5.3 TL12+ , AIX6.1 TL4+, AIX7.1 TL1+ , Linux LPars and/or VIO Servers running on POW, POWER6 or POWER7 servers - from a PC or Laptop running Windows.
    gmon has a very high refresh rate (1sec - 5secs) and is best used as a Demonstration tool or

as an Educational tool to help you learn and "see" how POWER Virtualization works in action "real time".

gmon also now has the ability to "playback" nmon files - up to 8 nmon files can be played back at once.

gmon's author is IBM UK's - Andy Thomas, who works as an IT Consultant focused on POWER Systems & AIX technologies

Download the latest gmon here
    Download the Installation Guide (pdf)
    Download the User Guide (pdf)

gmon v72g - x86 Linux Agent

June 10th 2012
    Please see an experimental agent for x86 Linux (developed on RedHat EL v6.2) linuxagentx86
    The x86 linux agent can be found withon the gmon zip download

This agent should allow gmon to provide basic monitoring of Linux running on x86

This agent is in an "experimental" stage and is still being developed

Getting Started:

• Download the zip file - this is the latest version and supports AIX6.1 and Partition Mobility.
    • This is a standard Zip archive file.
    • Installation instructions are contained within the Zip file - see the two brief README PDF files for Installing and Running.
    • You will need at least Windows XP Service pack 2 and to install a daemon on each LPAR as the root user. These daemons can however be run as a non-priveliged user should you wish.
    Disclaimers

• gmon is a demonstration tool. As such this software is delivered "as is" and is a use at your own risk tool.
    • gmon has no implied or explicit warranty, no support is provided for gmon.
    • gmon should not be used on Production systems.
    Technical Bits

• gmon uses port 15050 to talk between the windows GUI and agents
    • You can connect to the gmon agent using telnet - this can be useful to help debug problems with gmon - and confirm your firewall is allowing communications
    From Windows
    c:\> telnet hostname 15050
    you should then see lines like the following every time you hit return:
    AIX,Shared,0.0,0.6,0.0,99.3,0.01,1.8,0.7,0.0,4,Unc apped,128,4,43,SMT On,p6lpar5-AIX6,3,2048,456,0,0,0,0,0,C0ED60,1,4,4,4,ED60,1,4,
    AIX,Shared,0.1,1.2,0.0,98.7,0.01,2.4,1.3,0.0,4,Unc apped,128,4,43,SMT On,p6lpar5-AIX6,3,2048,456,0,0,0,0,0,C0ED60,1,4,4,4,ED60,1,4,
    AIX,Shared,0.0,0.6,0.0,99.3,0.01,1.7,0.7,0.0,4,Unc apped,128,4,43,SMT On,p6lpar5-AIX6,3,2048,456,0,0,0,0,0,C0ED60,1,4,4,4,ED60,1,4,

Q&A

"gmon Questions and Answers are found in a Community Forum - the gmon developer responds" here

Reference
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/Power%20Systems/page/gmon

Working...
X